Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Homemade Fabric Softener

 Here is what you will need...

-2 Cups of cheap Hair Conditioner (yes, you read that right)
-3 Cups of White Distilled Vinegar
-6 Cups of Hot Water
-1 washcloth as the dryer sheet

Step 1: Mix Conditioner and hot water together until conditioner is dissolved.

Step 2: Add vinegar to conditioner and water. Mix.

Step 3: Store in a container of your choice (you can reuse an old fabric softener bottle). Use your homemade fabric softener exactly like you would the store bought version! You can spray it on a washcloth or add directly to the wash!


the thing I like about this container is the wide mouth for dipping a sponge,
squeezing it, and tossing it into the dryer...


The great thing about this is that you can pick which ever scent of conditioner you like!

At first, I wondered about the dried gunk around the lid of some conditioners. Will that same build up be on my clothing? My sensors in my HE? Then I remembered that I wash my hair with this at times, which to me is more valuable than my clothing. It's the lack of water that makes the gunk and since, you will be washing your clothing and your hair--build up shouldn't be a problem and if so, drum roll please as nature rolls out her red carpet....

simply add 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar to the rinse cycle in you washer or the wash cycle or both or your DIY conditioning hair rinse. It will soften your clothes and remove static cling just like store bought fabric softener. It cleans the washing machine. People rinse their hair with vinegar in the shower--it will be alright :)  The vinegar smell washes completely away, however, obviously with this version you wont get a flowery or fruity smell like you would with the conditioner added.

These are both incredibly easy to make and store. You now have one less thing to buy, and one less thing to throw away. Those little dryer sheets will sit in a landfill--forever.


google images photo (I'm lazy)

No comments: